We invite you to Amphitheater de Verniquet at Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle (MNHN) Jardin des Plantes, rue Cuvier, PARIS
Abstracts deposit 10-12-2022
Chosen selections oral/poster notification 15-12-2022
About SFEL and Scientific Days « Journées CHEVREUL »
SFEL is a scientific association whose objective is to promote dissemination of knowledge in the field of lipids and challenges in research and development in this field (https://www.sfel.asso.fr/), mainly through the regular organization of scientific days "Journées Chevreul" and the publication of the journal “Oilseeds and fats, Crops and Lipids” (OCL, https://www.ocl-journal.org/fr/). Our society was created almost 80 years ago and formerly known as the "Association Française pour l'Etude des Corps Gras" (AFECG).
The scientific days « Journées Chevreul » are known in the world of lipids both nationally and internationally (https://www.sfel.asso.fr/journees-chevreul/congres-precedents/). Since 2007, we have also organized the Journées Chevreul “Lipids & Brain” every four years, which bring together between 100 and 200 participants in this field, and publish the articles of the presentations in the form of special issues in OCL. Since 1963 and twice a year, we have awarded a Scientific Medal to French or foreign scientific personalities who have contributed significantly to the development of scientific knowledge or industrial achievements in the field of lipids. This medal is awarded under the name "Médaille Chevreul". In 1993, for the 50th anniversary of the association, the Chevreul Gold Medal was awarded to the 1993 Nobel Prize in Physics, Professor Pierre-Gilles de Gennes. Since then, other outstanding scientific personalities have also received this medal such as Jean-Marie Bourre (1989), Michel Parmentier (2005), André Crastes de Paulet (2005), Frédéric Carrière (2007), François Mordret (2008), Michel Lagarde (2010) and Thierry Durand (2018) for the French ones, Stanley Rappoport (2007), Michael Crawford (2015), Stephen Cunnane (2017), Robert Gibson and Jun Ogawa (2021) for foreign personalities. For the coming years, the CHEVREUL Medal will be awarded in 2022 to Marie-Caroline MICHALSKI for the excellence of the scientific work carried out in recent years in the field of Human Nutrition and Lipids. The medal will be awarded on September 23, 2022 in Paris during a scientific day organized with CNIEL, the French Dairy Interbranch Organization, around « Dairy Lipids and Human Health ».
To celebrate the 80th birthday of SFEL and to thank all Chevreul Medalists who have contributed to the success of the ‘Journées Chevreul’, SFEL is pleased to announce the exceptional ‘Journées Chevreul’ which will be held on January 2023 in a famous place of science in Paris, the Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle (MNHN). MNHN is one of the birthplaces of chemistry where Chevreul worked for more than 40 years and has isolated, characterized and named cholesterol, for example.
These anniversary ‘Journées Chevreul’ will provide an overview of all the research themes on lipids supported by SFEL/AFECG since its creation and will be the occasion to award the Chevreul Medal 2023 to Michel Linder (LiBio, ENSAIA Nancy). They will take place on 3 consecutive days from January 18th to 20th. They will be boarded with an opening ceremony about Chevreul and SFEL followed by a series of lectures delivered by both Chevreul Medalists and invited speakers. Oral and poster communications will be also presented after selection. They will be organized in collaboration with Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle (MNHN) and our colleagues from three french scientific societies, the Groupe d’Etude et de Recherche en Lipidomique (GERLI), the Groupe Lipides Nutrition (GLN) and the Académie d'Agriculture de France (AAF), around the following 6 main themes (with scheduled speakers):
- Opening Session on SFEL & Michel-Eugène CHEVREUL – Claude Leray (FRA), Christian Ferault (FRA), Bernard Bodo (FRA), Hervé Plessix (FRA)
- Introduction Session on Omega3 in the Brain – Jean-Marie Bourre (FRA), Richard Bazinet (CAN)
- Genomic/Varietal selection & Oilseed Sector – André Pouzet (FRA), Thierry André (FRA), Jean-Denis Faure (FRA)
- Lipids, Nutrition and Human Health – Frédéric Carrière (FRA), Marie-Caroline Michalski (FRA), Cécile Gladine (FRA)
- Lipids in the Ocean, Microorganisms – Peter Nichols (AUS), Marie Vagner (FRA), Michel Linder (FRA)
- Lipids & Brain – Stephen Cunnane (CAN), Vincenzo Di Marzo (ITA), Fabien Pifferi (FRA)
- Lipochemistry, Emulsion & New Technologies - Charlotte Jacobsen (DNK), Romain Valentin (FRA), Laurianne Simon (FRA)
|WEDNESDAY 18 JANUARY 2023|
|8h30 – 9h00||Congress Registration|
|9h00 – 9h15||Congress Opening - Introductory Comments by Fabien Pifferi (CNRS-MNHN, Brunoy, France), Bernadette Delplanque (SFEL and past-President SFEL) & Philippe Guesnet (SFEL President)/Welcome from the Journées Chevreul Chair|
|SESSION 1 SFEL/AFECG & History and CHEVREUL Biography
Chairs Fabien Pifferi, Bernadette Delplanque & Philippe Guesnet
|9h15 – 9h30||Emile Choné “History of SFEL/AFECG”|
|9h30 – 9h55||Claude Leray (GERLI) "Contribution de Michel-Eugène CHEVREUL à la Lipochimie/ Michel Eugène CHEVREUL contribution to Lipochemistry"|
|9h55 – 10h20||Bernard Bodo (MNHN, France) “Michel Eugène Chevreul, the father of lipid chemistry”|
|10h20 – 10h45||Hervé PLESSIX (Stéarinerie Dubois, France) "From CHEVREUL scientific work to industrial applications: Stearic industry, yesterday and today."
|10h45 – 11h15||Coffee Break, Posters & Exhibits|
|11h15 – 11h40||Christian Ferault (Académie Française d’Agriculture) "Michel-Eugene CHEVREUL, un immense savant à l'Académie Française d'Agriculture/ Michel-Eugene CHEVREUL, an immense scientist at the French Academy of Agriculture"
|11h40 – 12h10
|Chevreul Medalist 1989 Jean-Marie Bourre “Histoire des oméga-3 dans le système nerveux - Témoignage d'une expérience personnelle et collective” / "History of omega-3 in the nervous system - Personal and collective experience”
Opening Plenary Lecture Richard Bazinet (University of Toronto, Canada) “Brain docosahexaenoic acid uptake and metabolism”
|12h40 – 14h30||Lunch, Posters & Exhibits|
|SESSION 2 Genomic/Varietal Selection & Oilseed Sector
Chairs Frédéric Fine (Bordeaux, France), Hubert Schaller (Strasbourg, France), Elodie Tormo (Paris, France)
|14h30 – 15h00||Chevreul Medalist 2013 : André Pouzet (retired director of CETIOM, France) "From plot to crushing: some highlights and prospects for oilseeds in France"
|15h00 – 15h30||Thierry André (Soltis Research, France) "The successful and future Sunflower revolutions"|
|15h30 – 16h00||Jean-Denis Faure (INRAE, Université Paris-Saclay, France) “Contribution of genomics/genetics for the development of a camelina species"|
|16h00 – 16h30||Coffee Break, Posters & Exhibits|
|16h30 – 17h15||
- Alev Yüksel Aydar (Department of Food Engineering, Manisa Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkiye) "Optimization of Freeze Dried Olive Seeds Obtained from Domat Variety in Turkiye"
|17h15 – 18h00||Flash Poster Presentation (1 min)|
|THURSDAY 19 JANUARY 2023|
|8h30 – 9h00||Congress Registration|
|SESSION 3 Lipids , Nutrition and Human Health
Chairs Claire Bourlieu-Lacanal (Montpellier, France), Marie-Caroline Michalski (Lyon, France), Thierry Durand (Montpellier, France), Frédéric Carrière (Marseille, France)
|9h00 – 9h30||Chevreul Medalist 2007 : Frédéric Carrière (CNRS Marseille, France) "Lipases and lipid digestion: 80 years later"|
|9h30 – 10h00||Chevreul Medalist 2022 Marie-Caroline Michalski (INRAE Lyon, France) "Gut-related metabolic effects of food-derived polar lipids from plant and animal sources
|10h00 – 10h30||Coffee Break, Posters & Exhibits|
|10h30 – 11h00||Cécile Gladine (INRAE Clermont-Ferrand, France) "Potential of the plasma oxylipin signature to better understand and predict cardiometabolic dysregulations"
|11h00 – 12h00||Communications
- Birgitta Strandvik (Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden) "The necessity to consider the lipids in understanding cystic fibrosis pathophysiology"
- Catherine Calzada (CarMeN Laboratory, Université Lyon 1, Pierre Bénite, France) "Ceramide concentrations of postprandial triglyceride-rich lipoproteins are increased in type 2 diabetic patients after a single meal"
- Virginie Chuy (INSERM U1219 BPH, France) "Fatty acid intakes among children in France: data from the INCA3 survey"
- Jean-Charles Martin (Aix Marseille Univ, INRAE, Marseille) "Deep phenotyping and biomarkers of various dairy fat intakes in an 8-week randomized clinical trial and 2-year swine study"
|12h30 – 14h30||Lunch, Posters & Exhibits|
|SESSION 4 Lipids in the Ocean & Microorganisms
Chairs Michel Linder (Nancy, France), Philippe Soudant (Plouzané, France), Benjamin Buaud (Pessac, France)
|14h30 – 15h00||Peter D Nichols (CSIRO, Hobart, Australia) "Development of novel oilseed sources of the marine-derived, health-benefitting, long-chain Omega-3 oils"|
|15h00 – 15h30||Marie Vagner (University Brest, Ifremer-CNRS, France)|
|15h30 – 16h30||
CHEVREUL Medal SFEL 2023 Michel Linder (University Lorraine, ENSAIA-LIBIO, France)
|16h30 – 17h00||Coffee Break, Posters & Exhibits|
|17h00 – 17h45||Communications
- Jetty Chung-Yung Lee (The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong ) "Polyunsaturated fatty acid and isoprostanoids in marine species exposed to environmental stress”
- Philippe Soudant (LEMAR, F-29280 Plouzané, France) "Influence of temperature and physiological state on the polyunsaturated fatty acid profiles of Aurantiochytrium mangrovei”
- Buscaglia Manon (LEMAR, F-29280 Plouzané, France) "Biosynthetic production of 13C-labelled docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) by the heterotrophic protist Aurantiochytrium mangrovei"
|17h45 – 18h00||Poster Award (10 min)|
|19h30 – 23h30||Gala Dinner cruise on the Captain Fracasse|
|FRIDAY 20 JANUARY 2023|
|8h30 – 9h00||Congress Registration|
|SESSION 5 Lipids & Brain
Chairs Bernadette Delplanque (Orsay, France), Gérard Lambeau (Valbonne, France), Nicolas Vitale (Strasbourg, France), Corinne Joffre (Bordeaux, France), Niyazi Acar (Dijon, France)
|9h00 – 9h30||Chevreul Medalist 2017 : Stephen Cunnane (Sherbrooke University, Canada) "Medium Chain Triglycerides, Ketones and Brain Energy Rescue in Alzheimer Disease"|
|9h30 – 10h00||Vincenzo Di Marzo (Laval University, Québec City, Canada; Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, Pozzuoli, Italy) “Endocannabinoids and related lipid mediators at the crossroad of microbiota-gut-brain signaling”|
|10h00 – 10h30||Coffee Break, Posters & Exhibits|
|10h30 – 11h00||Fabien Pifferi (UMR CNRS/MNHN 7179, Brunoy, France)|
|11h00 – 12h00||Communications
- Thierry Durand, Chevreul Medalist 2018 (Univ. Montpellier, France) "Neuroprostanes, Biomarkers and Bioactive Oxylipins”
- Michel Lagarde, Chevreul Medalist 2010 (INSA-Lyon, France) "Brain value of DHA-containing LysoPC and its stabilized acetylated derivative AceDoPC”
- Elmira Arab-Tehrany (LIBio Nancy, France) "Transfer phenomena of nanoliposomes rich on PUFA omega-3 by live imaging of primary cultures of cortical neurons”
- Marie Martin (INRAE & Activ’Inside, Nutrition et Neurobiologie Intégrée, Bordeaux, France.) "Effect of plant extracts and DHA on age-related cognitive decline"
|12h00 – 14h30||Lunch, Posters & Exhibits|
|SESSION 6 Lipochemistry, Emulsion & New Technologies
Chairs Claire Berton-Carabin (Nantes, France), Jean-David Rodier (Lyon, France), Philippe Maréchal (Scoury, France)
|14h30 – 15h00||Chevreul Medalist 2004 : Charlotte Jacobsen (Technical University of Denmark, Kongens Lyngby, Denmark) ) "Can we predict the efficacy of antioxidants in food emulsions? "
|15h00 – 15h30||Romain Valentin (Toulouse University, INRAE, France)|
|15h30 – 16h00||Laurianne Simon (Univ Montpellier) "Associating poly(oxazoline)s with lipids to design effective drug delivery systems"
|16h00 – 16h45||Communications
- Marie Hennebelle (Laboratory of Food Chemistry, Wageningen, the Netherlands) "Quantitative assessment of lipid oxidation in vegetable oils using NMR spectroscopy and kinetic modelling approaches"
- Elena Keuleyan (INRAE – UR BIA, Nantes, France) "Endogenous lipids vs proteins from pea and lupin ingredients: Competitive affinity for the oil-water interface?"
- Mathilde Cancalon (UMR IATE, Univ Montpellier, INRAE, Montpellier, France) " Optimization of the oxidative stability and lipid profile of docosahexaenoic acid enriched infant follow-on formulas by the introduction of dairy lipids"
|16h45 – 17h00||Concluding Remarks "Journées CHEVREUL 2023"|
- SFEL : Claire Berton-Carabin, Claire Bourlieu-Lacanal, Bernadette Delplanque, Frédéric Fine, Philippe Guesnet, Fabien Pifferi
- GERLI : Frédéric Carrière, Hubert Schaller, Philippe Soudant
- GLN : Claire Bourlieu-Lacanal
- MNHN : Fabien Pifferi
Niyazi Acar (INRAE), Benjamin Buaud (ITERG), Thierry Durand (GERLI), Corinne Joffre (INRAE), Gérard Lambeau (GERLI), Michel Linder (SFEL), Philippe Maréchal (SFEL), Jean-David Rodier (SFEL), Elodie Tormo (SFEL), Nicolas Vitale (GERLI)
The Journées CHEVREUL 2023 will be held in Paris at the Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle (MNHN) located in the Jardin des Plantes. MNHN is one of the birthplaces of chemistry in the world created in 1635 by order of the king Louis XIII. The Royal Garden was first created presenting medicinal plants, their uses and the search for active ingredients. In 1793, two chemistry chairs were created. While Vauquelin discovers chromium, Chevreul isolates, characterizes and names cholesterol. The best-known students trained in these chemistry chairs are Moissan, the first Frenchman to have receive the Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1906), Arnaud, successor to Chevreul and pioneer of research in plant chemistry, Étard , Bertrand, Verneuil,
Becquerel and Curie. Today, chemistry at the Museum remains focused on molecules of natural origin, but with a reinforced ecological axis. At the crossroads between earth, life and human sciences, the Museum focuses on nature and its relationship with the human race as illustrated in the following video.
The Congress will be held in the majestic amphitheater de VERNIQUET built at the end of the 18th century. This large amphitheater of neoclassical inspiration was built in 1787 by the architect Edmé Verniquet and was intended for the teaching of botany. It has seen illustrious teachers pass through: Antoine de Jussieu, Etienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, Georges Cuvier, Louis Joseph Gay-Lussac, Claude Bernard or Henri Becquerel... Completely restored in the 90s, the amphitheater can currently accommodate more than 300 people in the best conditions.
Location of the amphitheater de VERNIQUET in Paris, CLICK HERE
Eugène-Michel CHEVREUL statue and Verniquet amphitheater
Eugène-Michel Chevreul (1786 – 1889) (Elie Volf, Les Amis du Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle, Mars 2015).
Eugène-Michel Chevreul, born before the French Revolution, died at the age of 103 years during which he knew several political regimes: four kingdoms, three republics and two empires, following four revolutions, 1789, 1830, 1848, and at the Paris Commune in 1871. He was one of the greatest French scientists of the 19th century, whose name remains inscribed on the pediment of the Eiffel Tower by Gustave Eiffel with those of 71 other scientists, engineers or industrialists because they honored France from 1789 to 1889. For chemists, Chevreul isolated fatty substances, and determined their molecular
structure. For painters, dyers, upholsterers, he is the creator of the law on the simultaneous contrast of colors and the inventor of a very elaborate chromatic circle which takes complementary colors into account. For Claude Bernard and the physiologists, Chevreul thought of the symbiosis of the five senses which he called properties organoleptic. We must consider Chevreul as an outstanding experimental scientist, encyclopaedist and science historian. He will work in two prestigious places, as researcher, Professor and director of the Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle between 1836 and 1879, and as director of the de l’atelier des teintures à la Manufacture des Gobelins. During its long existence, Eugène-Michel Chevreul has published nearly a thousand articles and a hundred books on the history of science, chemistry, physiology, colors, photography and many other subjects.
Eugène-Michel CHEVREUL - 1786 - 1889
- Abstract Submission Deadline : 10 December 2022
- Chosen oral and poster, communications will be notified by : 15 December 2022
|Journées CHEVREUL 2023
‘80 years of SFEL’
Registration Fees (euros)
Updated membership 2022
Retired updated Membership
|GERLI, GLN ISSFAL and EuroFed Lipid Members||400|
Abstract Submission form for Congress Participant
* Hôtel du jardin des plantes, 5 rue Linné 75005 Paris tel: (+33)0147070620 Booking
* Best Western Quartier Latin Panthéon, 71 rue Monge 75005 Paris tel: (33) 0143312564 Booking
* Timhotel Paris Gare de Lyon, 3 rue d'Austerlitz 75012 Paris tel: (33)0143441347 Booking
* Hotel Inn Design Paris Place d’Italie, 178 Boulevard Vincent Auriol, 75013 Paris tel: (33) 01-44-24-01-01 Booking